The highlights of Cape Verde islands are many and diverse. Introducing this archipelago off the Atlantic coast of Africa, that harbours incredible diversity and is more than capable of offering a wonderfully fulfilling holiday. The best way to explore as much as possible in one visit is to arrange a Cape Verde cruise that also includes some island excursions, this way combining as many features as possible. The main reason behind choosing a cruise is that Cape Verde climate is, in fact, ideal for sea activities, mostly all year round! And it is not just about that. In any case, check our list with the top things to see and do whilst in Cape Verde.
Things to See in Cape Verde
– See the Pico do Fogo, a stratovolcano situated on the homonymous Fogo island, that boasts the tallest peak on all the collective Cape Verde islands and has a breathtaking crater.
– Explore the Monte Gordo mountainous range on Tarrafal de São Nicolau, on Sao Nicolau island and visit the Monte Gordo Natural Park, a nature reserve, to observe the local flora through interesting hiking trails.
– Witness the sugarcane plantations amidst volcanic rock formations and experience the feeling of walking through a jungle path, at Faja Valley (Paul Tal) and Fontainhas in Santo Antao.
– Take in the fantastic views from Monte Verde mountain in Mindelo, Sao Vicente.
– Check out the famous landmark of Praia island, the lighthouse of Farol de D. Maria Pia and its stunning views.
Things to Do in Cape Verde
– Go to the beach. Most well known beaches are located on Sal and Boa Vista islands, however there are some elsewhere that deserve your attention, such as Praia da Laginha in Sao Vicente and Tarrafal beach in Santiago.
– Visit the historical Portuguese town of Cidade Velha on Praia island and its old fortress.
– Saunter around a local market such as Mercadode Sucupira on Praia island, and mingle with the local people.
– Experience the city vibes of Mindelo, San Vicente with its galleries, bars, restaurants and nightlife.
– Take the walking tour of the colonial town Vila de Maio on Maio island, discover its landmarks whilst exploring this ex-salt mining settlement.
Sea activities in Cape Verde
– Diving: the amazing conditions lend themselves for some very enjoyable dives. Furthermore, Cape Verde islands boast a wonderfully colourful seabed filled with wondrous creatures and sightings of turtles, dolphins and sharks are common. In addition, it is the home to some fascinating shipwrecks!
– Snorkeling: you don’t have to be a daredevil to enjoy the sea and the sense of calm that if offers. Mostly every spot is a great opportunity to discover the underwater charms, by staying at the surface!
– Surfing/Kitesurfing: Cape Verde islands are a top destination for surfing! Good wind and wave conditions from October to June especially, and warm sea temperatures make the experience all the more pleasant.